- [S2348] Descendents of Johannis Duncan, Phyllis Shackelford Hedges, Excerpt of Lineage 2665 from Burke's "Prominent Families in America", Garril Louis Kueber Sr,.
- [S2368] Robert Duncan, Will Book D, page 91-93, copy received by Garril Kueber from Phyllis Shackelford Hedges,
written June 7, 1788; probated October 21, 1793
Robert Duncan's Will (copied from photostatic copy)
In the name of God, Amen. I, Robert Duncan, of Culpaper County and Parish of St. mark being of sound mind and memory and calling to mind it is appointed for all Man once to die; do make and ordain this to be my last will and Testament in manner and form following.
Imprimis, My desire is that my Just debts and funeral expenses be first satisfied and paid.
Item. And whereas I formerly gave and delivered to my son Robert Duncan one negro woman named Gosha, to my son Charles Duncan one negro woman named Jumbo; to my son Sammy Duncan one negro man named Jimmy; to my son Joseph Duncan one negro woman named Moll; I do hereby confirm to each of my said sons and their heirs, etc. the aforesaid negroes and their increase so delivered to them.
Item. And respecting my son John Duncan that may appear. I have not been less thoughtful of him than my aforesaid sons. I did give and deliver unto him in lieu of a negro the sum of Fifty pounds.
Item. I give and bequeath unto my son Gollop Duncan and his heirs, etc. forever two negro women named Judah and Jouley and their several increase.
Item. And whreas I formerly lent unto my daughter Phyllis Barbee, wife of John Barbee, one negro woman named Sarah, which has since born a female child named Jonny, it is now my will and desire and I do give and bequeath the said two negroes Sarah and Jenny and heir several increases to my Great Granddaughter Lucinda Bradford daughter of Enoch Bradford by his late wife rosy Bradford who was daughter to my aforesaid daughter Phyllis Barbee to her and her heirs forever.
Item. And whereas I formerly gave and delivered to my daughter Ann Pope wife of Thomas Pope one negro boy named Joe I do hereby confirm the said negro Joe to her and her heirs forever.
Item. It is hereby expressed and declared that I lent unto my daughter Mary who was then intermarried with Joseph Hackley one negro girl named Jenny. The said Joseph Hackley departing this life, my said daughter then intermarried with Thomas Grimmam soon after which period I took possession of the said negro Jenny and in lieu of a negro gave and executed a deed for a parcel of land to the said Grimmam and Mary his wife: and I do again declare I never let my said daughter Mary have the said negro Jenny on no other conditions than on loan during pleasance.
Item. And whereas I formerly gave and delivered unto my daughter Rosy Jett, wife of James Jett, two negroes, one a negro man named Will, the other a negro girl named Winny. I do hereby confirm the said negro Will: and negro Winny and her increase to my said daughter Rosey to her and her heirs forever.
Item. And whereas I formerly gave and delivered to my daughter Lavina Lightfoot, wife of John Lightfoot, one negro woman named Lucy, I do hereby confirm to my said daughter Lavina and her heirs forever, the said negro Lucy and increase.
Item. It is my Will and desire that my wife Ann Duncan keep possession of the lease and lot of land whereon I now live, during life or widowhood. It is my desire that all the remainder of my negroes not heretofore disposed of in this my last Will and Testament or otherwise together with all my household furniture stocks and all my Estate of every kind (except as before excepted) shall be under the direction of my Executors herein after to be named; and at the end of either of these two periods, it is then my desire that the said remainder of my negroes shall be Equally divided amongst my Eleven following children or their heirs or representatives (to wit) Robert Duncan, John Duncan, Charles Duncan, Sammy Duncan, Joseph Duncan, Gallop Duncan, Mary Grinnon, Phyllis Barbee, Anne Pope, Rosey Jett and lavina Lightfoot; And as some difficulty may arise to Effect the same, it is my desire that the aforesaid remainder of my negroes shall be allotted unto Eleven shares, for which purpose the Court of the County wherein this my last will and Testament shall be admitted to Record shall appoint, so many disinterested persons as they may Judge necessary to value the said negroes on Oath, and to allot the same unto Eleven lotts as many Equal as may be, agreeable to such valuation and age of my negroes, and if it so happens that they cannot be made equal in value before drawing it is my desire that the whole Eleven lotts shall be added up, and the average taken for a standard; having so done, each of my said Eleven Children of legal representatives shall be drawn for, under such regulations as may so directed by a magistrate who may be appointed by the Court aforesaid and the lot so drawn for each of my Eleven children aforesaid shall be the property of him or her or legal representative on their paying down into the hands of my Executors herein after to be named the Overplus of value agreeable to the average standard to be applied to the lots drawn wanting in value to make them equal to the Standard aforesaid and as to making my Household furniture stock and all my estate of every kind whatsoever as reserved for the support & maintenance of my said wife Ann Duncan: shall at the end of either periods of time heretofore devised for the division of the remainder of my negroes amongst my said Eleven children etc. shall be sold to the highest bidder either on reasonable credit or ready cash at the discretion of my Executors as aforesaid & the money thence arising shall be divided equally amongst my said eleven children or legal representative ( to wit) Robert Duncan, Jhn Duncan, Charles Duncan, Sammy Duncan, Joseph Duncan, Gollop Duncan, Mary Grinnan, Phyllis Barbee, Ann Pope, Rosey Jettt and Lavina Lightfoot.
Item. It is my will and desire that my acting Executives herein after to be named shall receive out of my estate before such divisions as is directed to be made full and ample satisfaction for all trouble and Expenses they may be at in carrying this my last Will and Testament into Effect and I do hereby nominate my sons-in-law James Jett and John Lightfoot and my son Gollop Duncan, Executors of this my last will and Testament, disannulling all other wills heretofore by me made ratifying and confirming this and no other to be se: and it is hereby provided in case that all my Executors herein named may die or refurs to carry this my said will and Testament unto effect, in that or either of these cases, the said Cort may appoint proper persons under such regulations as they may Judge necessary to answer such purposes as was herein intended to be done by them.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 7th day of June 1788.
Robert R Duncan (L.S.) his mark
Sealed, Signed, published & declared by the said Robert Duncan to be his last Will and
At a Court held for Culpaper County the 21st day of October 1793.
This last will and Testament of Robert Duncan dec'd was Exhibited to the Court by James Jett one of the Executors therein named, and was proved by the Oaths of John Amiss and Ames Crane tow of the witnesses thereto, and ordered to be recorded. And on the motion of the said Executor Certificate is Granted him for obtaining a probat thereof in due form he having made Oath thereto and given bond and security according to law. Liberty being reserved for the other Executors named in said Will to qualify when they may think fit.
John Jameson N Car (?)
In Culpaper County Circuit Court Clerk's Office.
I, Margaret S. Brown, Clerk of the Circuit Court in and for the County aforesaid in the State of Virginia, do hereby certify that the foregoing is a true copy of the will of Robert Duncan, recorded in this office, in Will Book "D" pages 91-92-93.
Given under my hand and seal this 23rd day of December, 1960.
Teste: Margaret B. Brown, Clerk
By Nellie M. Bywater, Deputy Clerk of District Court.
- [S3154] E-mail from Ray Rice, to Garril L Kueber, February 5, 2005.
- [S12018] U.S. Census Virginia 1860, Anderson Wade, Charles City, July 6, 1860, Page 26 & 27, Dwelling 203, Family 203, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12075] U.S. Census Tennessee 1930, Olivia Wade, Rutherford County, District 12, April 19, 1930, Page 2B, Eagleville Pike, Dwelling 40, Family 41, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12077] U.S. Census Tennessee 1910, Petts B Wade, Rutherford County, District 12, April 26, 1910, Page 3B, Salem Pike, Dwelling 50, Family 51, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12078] U.S. Census Tennessee 1900, Olivia Wade, Rutherford County, District 12, June 8, 1900, Page 4A, Dwelling 63, Family 63, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12079] U.S. Census Tennessee 1880, Thomas J Wade, Rutherford County, District 12, June 10, 1880, Page 21, Dwelling 180, Family 181, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12081] U.S. Census Tennessee 1860, W T Mathes, Rutherford County, District 12, August 29, 1860, Page 141, Dwelling 980, Family 970, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12323] Ancestry.com Family Tree, Thurston, brspeach, reviewed update of December 14, 2010.
- [S12325] U.S. Census Virginia 1880, Bryant Hylton, Floyd County, Indian Valley, June 5, 1880, Sheet 12, Dwelling 93, Family 94, Ancestry.com Census Images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12327] U.S. Census Virginia 1860, Bryant Hylton, Floyd County, Jacksonville, August 21, 1860, Sheet 193, Dwelling 1401, Family 1305, Ancestry.com Census Images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12328] U.S. Census Virginia 1870, Bryant Hylton, Floyd County, Indian River and Burks Fork Townships, August 30, 1870, Sheet 36, Dwelling 244, Family 232, Ancestry.com Census Images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12848] U.S. Census Iowa 1920, Thomas Wade, Decatur County, Weldon, January 8, 1920, Page 1B, Family 20, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S12851] U.S. Census Iowa 1930, James I Wade, Decatur County, Weldon, April 14, 1930, Page 1B, 2nd Avenue South, Dwelling 28, Family 28, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S14143] U.S. Census Iowa 1940, James I Wade, Decatur County, Weldon, April 23, 1940, Page 2A, Household 26, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S14736] E-mail from Barbara Brinkley, to Garril L Kueber, April 27, 2013.
- [S24159] West Virginia Deaths 1853-1973, West Virginia Deaths, this source may be viewed at ancestry.com, reviewed update of 1853-1973.
- [S25596] U.S. Census Virginia 1860, David Hale, Franklin County, Southwest District, August 20, 1860, Page 107, Dwelling 765, Family 762, Ancestry.com census images, National Archives, Washington DC,.
- [S25598] U.S. Census Virginia 1880, David Hale, Franklin County, Long Branch District, June 21, 1880, Page 29, Dwelling 283, Family 283, Ancestry.com census image, National Archives Washington D.C.,.